Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thank You, A Poem, and Mendelssohn's Octet for Strings


Catherine from Hello, New Day, has graciously awarded my blog the One Lovely Blog Award! Thank you, Catherine!



  
Of course, there are rules that go along with this award. They are as follows:

  1. Post the award logo and link back to the person who nominated you. 
  2. Share 7 things about yourself.
  3. Pass this award along to up to 15 blogs you enjoy reading.
  4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.


7 Things about Myself:

1. I hate flying. Love airplanes, hate being in one when it's in the air, doing what it was built to do.
2. I love traveling. Yes, I see how this doesn't actually go with the first one. Maybe I don't love traveling. But I love arriving.
3. I wear my lambswool-lined leather slippers year round. My feet are always cold. Always. (I am aware that I may have offended those who do not support the use of animals as footwear/clothing. Therefore, I will not share the fact that I recently purchased five [five!] pairs of leather shoes. Oh, wait...) Fortunately, this blog has few readers.
4. My husband and I got married on a beach in Jamaica. It was perfection.
5. I hate my oak paneled refrigerator and dishwasher. I mean, really...are we trying to pretend there isn't a fridge in the kitchen? Fortunately, I am actively planning their removal. It's only been 9 years.
6. I could spend all my free time reading. Sometimes I even do.
7. I cannot stand listening to the radio. Drives. Me. Insane. I am very happy with the USB connection in my car.

That's it!

And now, I pass the award along to....



So that's just two, but I love their blogs. And maybe they aren't interested in this award, but I pretty much think they rock and wanted to share them with you!


And now, for a check in on the 40 Things...

I memorized one poem. I chose a short one to start. This is probably my all-time favorite poem. I see a lot of me in it.

The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.


And, in reviving a weekend tradition that Mark and I used to share, last Sunday we sat on the couch with our coffee and hot chocolate and listened to Mendelssohn's Octet for strings. Quite lovely, really, and a very relaxing way to start the day.

Here's a version:





Checking a couple things off the list.

Well, that was a long post. Thanks for hanging in there!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Jagonzo said...

I posted in the wrong section! See the post below the list!

Unknown said...

I love that poem