Monday, November 5, 2012

Just in Time

...for the holidays - an absolutely perfect pie crust!

I love making pies, but sometimes the crust just drives me insane. It falls apart; it sticks to the counter, the wax paper, the rolling pin...augh! Lately, I've caved into the convenience of the store-bought pie crust from Pillsbury. In a pinch, they are great - flaky, easy to use. But I've wanted to revisit homemade crust, and found this recipe from Bon Appetit. I then set about making an apple pie (I like Braeburn apples for my apple pie - a nice combo of sweet and tart).

It. Was. Perfect.


Seriously. Easy to make, easy to roll out, nothing stuck, it didn't fall apart. And, it tasted great! Buttery and flaky. Sigh. I love it. I followed the directions, but only had to use about 1/2 cup ice water to achieve the correct consistency. And I would probably delete the sugar if I were making a savory pie, like a chicken pot pie. I cannot wait to try this with my chocolate pie. So, here's to the holidays! May your pie baking be stress-free!

Cheers!

No comments: